Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Disappearing Act


We recently bought a new sofa for out living room that is large enough for the whole family, and the old one shifted into my husband's office. To my surprise, he has actually been using it a lot, and it's been nice for him to have a second comfortable place to retreat to when the first one is booked out.


If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you may have noticed that I've accumulated quite a number of quilted cushions that have landed in our living room, but somehow recently they've been disappearing... a lot. The culprit, who shall remain nameless, keeps carrying them into my husband's office, and they are usually noticed missing when I want to sit down for the evening. 


So, as a birthday present, I decided that the thief "borrower" needed a few pillows of his own. I've always thought that Tim Holtz fabrics are just smart for projects for guys, and have had it in my head to use the map/expedition print since my husband has a large world map on his wall. I added a cigar box labels print to the mix since he enjoys a leisurely smoke on occasion.
 

The cigar labels print was my color inspiration for the Raspberry Kiss x's pillow (free pattern here). I have to say that it was a good challenge for me to find prints in my stash that are truly "guy" fabrics... I didn't realize that most of my fabrics lean more towards what I would grab for a girl project rather than a guy project.


As if my husband didn't already have enough to keep him busy for every hour of the day, he has taken on a new hobby/job working with wood. It would seem that his love for trees is growing just as much as his love for soil, for this through and through farm boy. I debated for a long time if a wood grain quilting design was the best choice for the more graphic x's, but since it is so fitting to him personally, and it's free motion quilting practice for me, I decided it was the best way to take out two birds with one stone.


With these three pillows to lounge on, there should be no more disappearing act excuses... fingers are crossed!

Linking up this week to Let's Bee Social.

11 comments :

  1. And next: THe GREAT DISAPPEARING ACT!!! Ta da!!! Allison, these pillows look lovely, and homely and male-ish. You had me laugh out loud at the disappearing pillows =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three pillows are beautiful and really perfect for a man! And the quilting is awesome! He must love that you put so many thoughts in the making of those pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute story, Allison, and the perfect inspiration for making new pillows and practicing your FMQ. I've not tried wood grain, yet. Yours looks perfect! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love how personal you made each pillow! And the new FMQ practice look so great. I am sure the "thief" loves them very much - and please say "happy late birthday" to him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pillows! I love Tim Holtz fabrics and am always watching on eBay for a good deal on them. Sadly, they are hard to find on sale. Your wood grain quilting looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made a really beautiful, and man-appropriate(?) set of pillows! Those Xs are irresistibly adorable...don't tell him I said so, tho😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Die Kissen sind super schön und absolut Männer tauglich. Dein Mann wird sich bestimmt sehr darüber gefreut haben!
    LG Steffi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your guys is one lucky fella... Those cushions are so handsome! Love the woodgrain quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really digging the texture of the oatmeal fabric on the X's It looks like linen or a heavier material <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the story behind the cushions. You chose some lovely masculine fabrics and I love the quilting on the Raspberry Kiss. In my house I have to rescue the cushions from one of my dogs, Indi. She insists they are all hers and likes to lay her head on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pattern, colours & quilting, bravo !

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails